This page is relevant to you if you have applied for a Master’s programme that starts in September 2021, either at Maastricht University or elsewhere . We decided to share our tips because we received many questions about the transition from the Bachelor programme to the MA programmes and what kind of registration fits your individual situation. The information on this page comes from the UM website >
First, two decisions the faculty took concerning Covid-19: the permission to start Ma with deficiencies in terms of the Ba (in Dutch 'zachte knip') and changes made in the Rules and Regulations Bachelor in Psychology 2020-2021 regarding FPN compensation rules.
You might be able to start without the Ba diplomaFPN follows the UM policy regarding the requirements for starting an UM Master's programme in September 2021, without specific changes or additional requirements.
In short: Students can start a UM Master's programme in September 2021 if they have obtained at least 80% of the credits from the final year of their Bachelor's programme. For a 3-year Bachelor’s programme, a maximum of 12 credits from Ba year 3 may be missing; all credits from Ba year 1 and Ba year 2 must have been obtained.
- UM website: "Enrolment before completing prior education".
- UM FAQ, under "Compensation Schemes". Various scenarios are explained two paragraphs down.
COMPENSATING RESULTSThe Rules and Regulations Bachelor Psychology allows for compensating one course, but some courses cannot be compensated. The course PSY/IPN3109 Psychodiagnostics can also be compensated. More information >>
TRANSITION SCENARIO 1:Applying for a Master’s programme at the UM but unsure whether you will graduate for the BA in Psychology at FPN on or before 31 August 2021? See what scenario applies to you and what it means for your Studielink registration:
from an FPN Bachelor to an FPN Master programme
A. You passed all Ba requirements before 1 September 2021:
- Congratulations, the Board of Examiners will inform you soon about your graduation. You are allowed to start the Ma unconditionally, provided you meet the standard entrance requirements.
- Registration Studielink: in case you re-registered for this Ba, please withdraw your application before 1 September 2021.
B. You have a maximum of 12 credits from this Ba year 3 open – enrolment with deficiencies (‘zachte knip’)
- You are allowed to start the Ma under the conditions you graduate in this Ba within 2021/2022 and need to discuss an individual study plan with the academic advisers.
- You will need to request the application of the ‘zachte knip’, by filling in the form by 15 August 2021.
- Registration Studielink: You need to have a re-registration for your Ba & for the Ma, and you only need to pay tuition fees for your Ma. You will receive a form from the UM Admissions department to fill in.
C. You have only one (1) course open from Ba Psychology year 1, Ba Psychology year 2 or Ba Psychology year 3 in Period 4-6
- You can opt for the extra exam option in October 2021, if you fulfill some other requirements as well. See: https://askpsy.nl/extra-exam-last-course. In case of a last outstanding course of Ba Psychology year 1 or Ba Psychology year 2, you cannot start the Ma at the UM from September onwards for the academic year 2021-2022.
- Registration Studielink: You need to have a re-registration for your Ba from September 2021 onwards. In case you have one course open from Ba Psychology year 1 or Ba year 2: your enrollment for a UM Ma from September 2021 onwards will be not be approved.
D. You have a maximum of three courses open from all courses of your Ba Psychology, which are all planned from period 3 onwards
- You can opt for a delayed Ba enrolment from the month onwards in which the course is planned. You cannot start the Ma before September 2022. Please send us a message before 15 August 2021 so we can inform you about this option and the consequences.
- Registration Studielink: in case you re-registered for your Ba Psychology, please withdraw your application before 1 September 2021. Please send us a message before 15 August 2021 so we can inform you about this option and the consequences.
E. All other situations
- You need to have a re-registration for your Ba Psychology in order to finalize your open courses and/or exams Ba Psychology and cannot start the UM Ma before September 2022.
- Registration Studielink: you need to have a re-registration for your Ba Psychology from September onwards, even if your first open exam would take place (much) later in the year.
Applying for a Master elsewhere but unsure whether you graduate for the Ba this summer? Check the admission requirements at the other faculty/university extensively and based on this info, see the above options a-e and see which option is applicable to you.
TRANSITION SCENARIO 2:
from FPN Bachelor to a Master programme at another faculty or university
Questions? Remarks? Contact us.
In case of any further questions, please contact, email@example.com) so they can help you. They can also set an individual appointment via Zoom to discuss the various options. Please note that due to the holidays we will have a limited presence between 2 and 11 August 2021. Please keep extra response time into consideration.
Good luck finishing your Bachelor!
Gerda Galenkamp, Olga Penninger, Femke Buiter and Angelique Weitmann,
the academic advisers