We still need to set the dates for 2021-2022. Here a global overview of the dates and deadlines in 2021-2022.
|16 September 2021||Dors Bachelor Thesis Matching System Available|
Find and contact potential supervisors.
|Mon. 15 November 2021 23:59 hrs||Deadline to have arranged your supervisor. (Meaning that your supervisor has accepted your request for supervision.) Check also Supervision and Assessment. |
1 - 4 February 2022
|Deadline to submit the first version of your thesis. Submission is possible between 1 and 4 February 2022. |
|March 2022||Supervisor provides feedback.|
(Exact deadline to follow.)
Submit final version of the thesis
|June 2022||Publication of final grade|
|For students with extended deadlines:|
June 2022: The supervisor hands in the grade.
|July 2022||Submit a resit version of the thesis if one or both grades are below 6|
|August 2022||Supervisor hands in the grade of the resit, Publication of resit grade.|
|31 August 2022||To graduate in 2021-2022, you need to have passed all elements of the bachelor programme on 31 August 2022.|
|10 December 2022||Extra submission option for students with study delay.|
|5 October 2020 13:00hrs||Announced post facto: Bachelor Thesis Matching System available.|
|15 November 2020 23:59 hrs|
Deadline to have arranged your supervisor. (Meaning that your supervisor has accepted your request for supervision.) Check also Supervision and Assessment.
|2 - 5 February 2021 13:00hrs||Deadline to submit the first version of your thesis. Submission is possible between 2 and 5 February 2021. |
Submit your first version via DorsWebApp >>
|9 March 2021||Supervisor provides feedback|
15 March 2021 -
|Submit final version of the thesis between 15 March 2021 and |
Submit your final version via DorsWebApp >>
|Supervisor hands in grade|
2 July (or earlier)
Publication of final grade
|16 July 2021 13:00hrs.||Submit resit version if one or both grades are below 6|
Submit via DorsWebApp>>
13 August 2021
|Supervisor hands in the grade of the resit|
|20 August 2021|
|Publication of resit grade.|
|31 August 2021|
To graduate in 2020-2021, you need to have passed all elements of the bachelor programme on this date. This includes the thesis, which you should have submitted on
|December 2021||Extra submission option for students with study delay.|
More information >>
TimelineBelow are important subsequent phases, helping you to meet the deadlines mentioned above. Students who feel uncomfortable with deadlines are advised to be earlier than a deadline specifies, as such a date/time is the final possibility to submit but does not preclude from submitting earlier. The official deadline for publication of grades also applies to students who submit earlier. MarRBLe students may want to consult the coordinator MarRBLe on certain deadlines. Under certain conditions, students who failed the bachelor thesis in a previous year or postpone the bachelor thesis, can make use of the extra thesis submission option. If you do not match the conditions for the extra thesis submission option, the official deadlines of the current academic year apply to you, with the final version to be submitted in April. Also check the FAQ page for extra information for students who failed the bachelor thesis in a previsour year.
September to November
● Consult the handbook writing skills which provides a no-nonsense guide to clear scientific writing. Keep the handbook handy throughout the process of thesis planning and writing.
● Think and (re-)read about the topic of your interest. Become an expert so that you have enough knowledge to formulate a fitting research question, and you know which topics are needed to answer this question.
● Read also Supervision and Assessment for more information about finding a supervisor.
● Alsways (except for MaRBLe) use the Bachelor Thesis Matching System to contact and agree with a supervisor.
November and December
Students often underestimate the required work in this period.
● Create a thorough overview of your main topic and refine the scientific problem and research question. You should become an expert on that topic so as to write clearly about it. This is the time to create detail in your personal summaries and/or mind maps. Realize that this knowledge must still be restructured to formulate a problem and to introduce a specific research question, and to create a clear and enticing storyline. Assessors do not like it when a bachelor thesis has no storyline and does not specify a research question. Mind that the quality of both thesis versions will determine your final grade. See also: handbook writing skills.
● Start writing parts of the first version. The earlier you start the actual writing of your thesis the better, as you need time to revise a number of times until your first version has sufficient quality. Having it read by a fellow student also helps. Be critical of your own work and do not hesitate to kill your darlings [William Faulkner]: These are parts of your text that you are very fond of, but that you sadly have to delete as they actually make your thesis less convincing and less readable.
Finalize the first version of your thesis. Be thorough about it as your final grade will reflect the quality of the two versions of your thesis. The criteria for a written thesis are found in handbook writing skills. These criteria pertain to writing style and thesis structure, and to the content of both versions. See also: Assesment >>
●Submission of your first version is only possible between 1 and 4 February 2022 13.00hrs.
Missing the deadline for the first version implies you are not allowed to hand in a final version and cannot finish your bachelor thesis in the current academic year.
● For a literature review, your first version must be complete including all required components (and research question) as specified by the handbook writing skills. Incomplete first versions are rejected and such a student must start a new literature review the next academic year.
● For an empirical or marble bachelor thesis, you are required to hand in a complete first version of the Introduction and the Methods section (not the Results and Discussion-section).
● Use the correct filename, in line with the file naming convention.
No later than X March 2022, your supervisor provides feedback on your first version. You have about a month to revise the first version both on the basis of this feedback, and your own progressive insights on topics, writing style and physical form of your thesis.
Submission of your final version is possible between XX March 2022 and XX April 2022 13.00hrs. Missing the deadline for the final version implies you are not allowed to finish your bachelor thesis in the current academic year. Use the correct filename, in line with the file naming convention.
No later than X June 2021 the Education Office publishes the average grade of your supervisor and a second (anonymous) assessor, including concise feedback. See also: Assesment >>
If one or both grades of your final version are below 6.0, you must resit the bachelor thesis. Submit the resit version no later than XX July 2022 13.00hrs.
Handbook Writing Skills v001 of 31 Aug. 2019